Cyców 2011-12-09
The place of the battle against the Bolsheviks in 1920.
/gfx-user-normal/sites/_DSC0469_2.jpg

The name most probably comes from the cloth produced here in the old times, called “cyc”. The area was inhabited by the population of various nations, religions and cultures: the Poles, Germans, Ruthenians, Jews. In the district there are: the biggest lake of the Łęczna-Włodawa Lake District, Uściwierz (circa 284ha), incredibly rich as far as nature is concerned, as well as the reserves of “Świerszczów” and “Ciesacin”. The district borders with Polesie National Park.

- The old post-Uniat church of St Michael Archangel in Cyców was built in 1860-1870 in the Byzantine style. In 1875 it was changed into an Orthodox church, and in 1918 into the Roman Catholic church of St Joseph’s Care. Th e temple is made of brick and covered with sheet. Over the middle nave there is a heavy little bell where in 1920 there was still a Byzantine helmet. Th e belfry – located on a church square – was erected in 1871. Opposite the church there is a statue of Saint Mary from 1862.


-The monument in Cyców was erected to commemorate the heroes died on 16 August 1920 in the battle against the Bolsheviks. The battle went into history as an example of the Polish cavalry’s victory over the prevailing power of the enemy. The  decisive role was played by the 3. and 7. Lublin Uhlan Regiment’s charge. The battle is mentioned on the plaque of the Unknown Soldier Grave in Warsaw.


- The Lutheran church and the remnants of the old manor farm in Cyców were bought by the Germans in the 1880s. Till 1940 it was a seat of an Evangelical church, one of the three (next to Chełm and Kamień in the Chełmszczyzna), in which regular service was held.


- The war cemetery in Cyców from the First World War is burial ground for the heroes of the Polish-Bolshevik war.


- The obelisk in Wólka Cycowska is devoted to the Jews and Poles murdered during the Second World War.


- The manor park in Kol. Garbatówka is registered as a monument together with the trees registered as nature monuments
in 1985. Also manor gardens, the remnants of an orchard and the water structure are protected.


- The wooden temple in Świerszczów is an old Orthodox parish church of Raising the Cross, which was fi nished in circa 1875. Its characteristic feature is the log construction. Since 1921 it has been the Roman Catholic church of St Basil. Opposite the church entrance there is a wooden belfry with the pillar and frame construction.

pl