Zwierzyniec 2011-11-24
Zwierzyniec is the northern most town of the Roztocze National Park.
/gfx-user-normal/sites/zwierzyniec_kosci.jpg

HISTORY

The Zwierzyniec settlement was established in the 16th century by the Zamoyski family. One of the features here is an artificial lake with a number of small islands - one of them contains monuments of the
hounds belonging to the Polish Queen Marysieńka Sobieska (primo voto Zamoyska).On another island the Zamoyskis built a baroque chapel, which became later the main church of the local Catholic parish.
It is now known as the St John Nepomucene's parish church - renovated and expanded in early 1960s by father Dutkowski. The access to the chapel island is now via a bridge. During the Second World War, Nazi Germans set up a transit camp in Zwierzyniec, with many victims sent to the death camps.

 

Historical monument

- St John Nepomucen Church in Zwierzyniec
1741-1747, a little late-Baroque church "on water",  illusionist polychromy by Francieszek Smuglewicz, architectonic proportions in harmony with the surrounding.

 

MORE INFORMATION

http://www.zwierzyniec.info.pl

pl