Kijany 2011-12-14
Is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Spiczyn, within Łęczna County.
/gfx-user-normal/sites/kijany_1.jpg

Historical monuments

- St Anne’s Church in Kijany – built at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries in the Baroque style – was founded by
Atanazy Miączyński, the Volynia voivode, as a votive off ering for the lucky comeback from the relief of Vienna. In the
church altar there is a painting of Kijany God’s Mother, famous for her mercy.

- Parish cemetery in Kijany with the tomb of the Skłodowski family. Józef Skłodowski, Maria Skłodowska-Curie’s
grandfather is buried here. There is also a symbolic monument from 1990 to commemorate the leader of the anticommunist
underground movement, nicknamed “Uskok”, died on 21 May 1949.

- Neo-Renaissance palace with a ball room in Kijany – built circa 1850 – was rebuilt circa 1880 by the industrialist
Stanisław Sonnenberg. In the arch and pillar portico there are statues of two goddesses: Athena and Demeter. The palace
is surrounded with a park, and an alley consisting of 24 linden trees leads to it.

pl